We began by carrying logs to the Old Tennis Court, watching Sam select logs for our uprights and helping him begin the process of sawing.
|Selection||Eyes||1:17-1:19||Logs for uprights were much thicker than expected, with large forks at the top. One was longer than the other.|
|Measurement||Another log, measuring tape||1:19-1:21||Sam used another log to prop up the ends of the first logs, to help raise them off the ground for sawing.|
|Sawing||Hand saw||1:21-1:24 first log|
1:24-1:27 second log
|For data on sawing anything other than the first two cuts, look for Group B’s data post.|
Next we went to the carving area, were we began to process a much thinner branch with a series of forks along its side, which would become the forked pegs for the loom.
|Cutting to size||Finishing saw||1:35-1:42||The finishing saw was much harder to use than the hand saw. It reminded us of the jeweler’s saw, because it was much flimsier and did not need as much pressure to be applied to it.|
|Shaping||Mora Knives, block of wood with 3/4 inch holes for measuring size||1:38-2:08||Created two pairs of forked pins that are the same height one put into 3/4 inch holes. Varying degrees of completion overall, with a few knots left untrimmed.|
We then set about debarking the second upright log, with the goal of completely removing its bark.
|Debarking||Shave horse, draw knife, Mora Knife||2:12-3:36||Using the draw knife on long, smooth portions of the log was simple and satisfying. Knots were very hard to get around, occasionally we had to use the Mora Knife to get at knots that we couldn’t use the draw knife for. |
It took 3 of us to remove bark on the middle part of the log, with two bracing it and a third using the draw knife.
Log was almost fully debarked in the time we had, with only some sapwood remaining on the main part and some bark leftover in and around the forks in the log.
We took a break from debarking to drill holes into the uprights, on an area that had been flattened out for ease of drilling by Sam with an axe.
|Measuring||Measuring tape, hand compass, awl, hammer||3:38-3:42||Holes were 15cm apart, measured using the tape to keep the line straight and the compass set to 15cm. Awl was used to poke holes into the wood to mark drilling spots|
|Drilling||Brace and bit drill, shave horse, upside down chopping block||3:42-4:45|
*note, this is when I left the lab as I had somewhere to be, it is possible drilling continued
|First we used the shave horse to prop up the log we were drilling into, but another group needed it so we began to use the upside down chopping block instead.|
Drilling was very tiring. About halfway through each hole the process would slow down to a crawl.
Short people struggled with drilling on the shave horse, had an easier time with the upside down chopping block.
Spotters were very important to make sure that the angle of the drill was correct, as it was hard to focus on anything other than the process when drilling.
In between the drilling process, we also briefly took a break to half assemble the final loom. At the point of assembly we had completed:
- Two uprights, almost entirely debarked. One with all holes drilled, one with a single hole drilled to connect the bottom bar via pegs.
- One top bar, completely shaved (and marked for chiseling while the loom was assembled)
- One bottom bar, completely shaved and with two holes drilled
- Two sets forked pins
- Several more sets straight pins (did not get an accurate count)
- Two more straight rods
0 thoughts on “Group C Woodworking Data”